Thursday, March 31, 2011

Alien Pop Stars!

When it rains, it pours...Aliens! And not in a bad way. I just watched the worldwide release of Katy Perry's E.T. Video featuring Kanye West. Although I hadn't heard the song before, I liked it so much that It could become my favorite Katy Perry hit so far. However, it resembled Lady Gaga's Born this Way video with the whole "Alien and alternate dimensions" theme.

Both Katy and Gaga float in outer space with their alien makeup, elaborate hair pieces and pointy fingernails, and its cool... just no more E.T. videos for now. I just found it a bit odd that two self proclaimed original beacons expression came up with alien extra terrestrial videos for their new singles.

Lady Gaga                        Katy Perry

Resemblance? Anyone?

Katy Perry's E.T. Video Still

Lady Gaga's Born This Way Video Still


Don't get me wrong, I loved both videos! Gaga focused on diversity and incorporated dancing while Katy's had out of this world -pun intended- costumes and makeup!

Before you watch the video, I have to give it up for Katy Perry's Marketing Team (yes, she is a brand, People) for successfully creating buzz and expectancy for this video. They launched a campaign, where Katy fans all over the world were given the chance to try their luck at alien makeup and recreate Katy's looks throughout the video. Here you'll find some great Katy Perry E.T. looks.

Which video did you like the most? Katy's or Gaga's? Let me know, Leave a comment ;)

5 comments:

  1. I like more Katy Perry's video. Gaga's is to eccentric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaga definitely likes to push boundaries! I like her dance numbers in the video and I love the song Born this Way. But I really love E.T.'s sound and Kanye West takes it to another level :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have a great make up artist...but it's like they are trying to hard to make Katy Perry look WEIRD in this video...and by weird I mean, Lady-GAGA-WEIRD. Gaga IS the main competitor... so I am thinking Perry's video concept must be a product of her marketing team strategies.

    As for Born This Way, the first time I saw it I didn't get the whole concept..and it sounded waaaaaaay too much like Madonna's "Express Yourself", but now I love it for some reason, both the song and the video.... After videos like Paparazzi/Bad Romance/Telephone, Gaga should stick to having and developing a visual story line...they can be quite epic.

    Check out Britney's latest video...it has that technologic/artsy kinda feel but its not working for me :

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Edv8Onsrgg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Ash! At least Katy Perry's video is titled E.T. and talks about aliens and abductions throughout the whole song. She did look a little weird but it's working, because we're talking about her right now :) !

    As for Born this Way, I also remember thinking about Madonna's song when I first listened to it! But you know what? The song is great and I agree that she should keep doing visual story or movie-like videos.

    I watched Britney Spears' new video. I liked the song, it was really good and I have to say that even though I liked the video too, I'm still a little bugged about her past *darker* years. I decided to give it a chance, because it reminded me of her 90's / early 2000's videos, and that might be the mix that works for her. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bueno chica, los 2 videos estan rarisimos. Lady Gaga me gusto por el baile pero el intro muy muy largo y RARO. Kathy Perry me gusta mas su voz y el maquillaje y vestuario A+. Tienes cosas rarisimas pero cada uno tiene los suyo. ;)

    ReplyDelete